Well, we did get up early and tried our best to head for St Croix but Mother Nature did not oblige. The wind was more like ESE as opposed to the ENE we had anticipated. So, after plugging away for about 4 hours, we tacked and decided that if we wanted to make landfall in daylight St Thomas was a much better option, it being closer and a better angle. We dropped our anchor in Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas just as the sun was setting.

Having said all that, it was a good sail. Would you believe that we actually donned light outer layers early on because it was a little chilly with cloud cover and some rain? But when the sun came out, they were quickly shed. Steve’s muscle power came in very handy with all the tacking. He had plenty of opportunity to improve his technique! He also had a go at helming several times. It has been great to have him onboard and we hope to see him back again at some other point in our travels.

Howard and I decided to stay in St Thomas a couple of nights, mostly so Howard could relax and hopefully get over his cough, but also so we could take care of some paperwork needed to complete the sale of the CS40. We finally feel we can celebrate being a single boat owner yea!!! Steve decided to head over to Jost van Dyke for his last night before heading back to the US tomorrow. We’ll probably stay here another night but are still toying with the idea of again heading to St Croix possibly on Monday…. watch this space.